The New Look 6943 Rust Waistcoat is finished. It may be one of my tops in the Timmel SWAP 2008 as it can be worn alone (not sure that I would as that's quite an avant garde look).
The last item I made from this came out too big, so here I used a 14 back and a 12 front and it fits neatly. The fabric is rust herringbone wool from Abakhan fabrics in North Wales, UK and the lining is a remnant of satin from TP Textiles in Warrington, Cheshire, UK.
The wool is very soft and lovely to sew, though it ravels and does not press to a crisp point. The satin is polyester and frayed badly. The satin was pretty horrible to sew, especially where the side front lining attached to the wool interfaced front facing on a princess seam. I chose it because the soft peach tones went so well with the rust, although the fabrics were not a dream match from a sewing perspective. The buttons are soft edged square buttons in antiqued silver tone metal. The idea is that it would help the waistcoat 'connect' with darker toned bottoms.
I started this on Wednesday 2nd January and finished it on Saturday 13th January 2008.